Thursday, April 14, 2005

Microsoft Monitor: The Tiger Roars at Longhorn

Microsoft Monitor: The Tiger Roars at Longhorn

I normally don't give two hoots about the "operating systems war" (that's so last century). However, I'm just going to make one point before I forget: The battle has shifted to people's second PC. More people I know -- normal one, not geeks like me -- are starting to see the benefit of buying a cheap wireless router and getting another computer. They can leave the kids to play games and screw up one PC with spyware, while they use another one for word processing, web browsing and e-mail. That second PC is also the place to keep your music, photos (and someday) videos. For that job, the Mac is far superior to anything else. Nothing is even close, and that includes my beloved Linux. Linux, in distributions like Ubuntu, is getting very good, but I don't think many developers of that operating system realize that their real competition is the Mac.