Monday, July 11, 2005

Training the Brain

The more I read about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the more I'm convinced I have it, or at least a mild case. The inability to concentrate on any one task for long, poor academic performance -- you name it, I've got it. I've managed to struggle through by unhealthy self-medication: caffeine and cigarettes, mostly (although I've given up on the latter). Via Dave Roger's Groundhog Day blog, I spotted an article on Scientific American today saying that medication may not be the best solution. Instead, scientists report better results by training the working memory, or short-term memory:
Recent studies support the notion that many children with ADHD have cognitive deficits, specifically in working memory--the ability to hold in mind information that guides behavior.
What was I saying again?